Sunday, November 16, 2008

Equality For All!


I'm going to start this blog off by saying that it may offend some people. I realize that there are many different views, sides, and opinions people have on Prop 8. But why should I worry about giving my opinion and offending someone, when others who have a different opinion aren't worried about how theirs might make me feel. I am very much against prop 8. I feel that anyone should be able to get married. And by that I don't mean that someone should be able to marry their dog or their sister. Yes, I heard that comment yesterday. Marriage to me is about love. We choose who we want to marry. So why shouldn't everyone get the same treatment? Last time I checked we live in America, where church and state are supposed to be separate. So why are religious beliefs getting in the way? Whether you think it is right or wrong, why are religious beliefs even a factor in this? Shouldn't everyone be created equal? Is the marriage of a same sex couple in anyway going to affect you? If what they are doing truly is a sin, who are you to judge? This world is full of too much judgement and hate for people who look, think, and believe differently. Why are there people who feel that it is either their way or no way? I'm not blaming a church or even a religion. Because there are many religions that are for prop 8. As the protesters at the rally said yesterday, "the people voted". That's right, the people did vote. And here is what I say to that. Do you realize how close this vote really came? The way Prop 8 was worded, was very confusing. Yes means No, No means Yes. I think people are blaming churches and religions because religion tells you what to believe, they tell you what they think is right and wrong and they make you feel guilty and sinful if you go against it. Some choose to listen to everything their priests, ministers, bishops, and prophets have to say; whereas some can open their hearts and make their own decisions. Personally, I'm glad I don't belong to an organized religion, I like the fact that I can have my own beliefs and opinions and not feel GUILTY about them. I don't believe that being a member of a certain church is what makes you a good person. I believe that having an open heart, doing good things for others, and just loving people for who they are is what makes you a good person. I don't need someone telling me what to believe. I know my God loves everyone. His love is Universal. He does not discriminate. He put everyone here for a reason. I heard some people at the protest yesterday say that homosexuality is a sinful, disgusting personality trait. Seriously?! If everyone was put here for a reason and if these people believe that God is the reason we are here, then God put homosexuals here for a reason too. They are people. They love, feel, cry, hurt, and have families just like you and me. There is nothing wrong with them, they are not crazy disgusting people. They are human beings who deserve exactly what we "heterosexuals" have. What will it hurt? Will it hurt you? Will it hurt your marriage? Will it hurt your family? Why don't they deserve to have the same rights as us? Marriage is a civil right in the United States of America, by not allowing these couples to marry we are discriminating. At the "peaceful" protest yesterday, this man brought his 13 maybe 14 year old daughter with him. I heard one of the lesbian ladies ask him why he would bring her to see him with so much hate in his heart. Guess what his response was, "Shutup you Dirty Whore". He said that in front of his daughter. I was shocked and outraged. It bothered me to see a man use that kind of language in front of his daughter. To me, that showed her that it is okay for a man to treat a woman like garbage. It disgusted me. Now she is going to grow up with hate in her heart because of her parents beliefs. I just stood there with an overwhelming amount of sadness. It took everything in my power not to cry. I am saddened by how much hatred there is in this world. I am not personally affected by Prop 8, but many people I love are. And I will stand behind them and with them until they are treated the same as me. So I ask you, please open your hearts. Put yourself in their place. I welcome comments from those for and against Prop 8. I would really like to hear your opinions on why you are personally for or against it. I will not judge you, I will respect you. The only thing I ask, is that you do not leave any mean hateful comments. I will delete them. This world is full of enough mean hateful things. Please be respectful if you leave a comment.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

On the topic of Prop 8, I am for it, wait...no, I am against it...wait...oh hell, I am for the ability for all who choose to get married to be allowed to get married.

Having been raised LDS, it is difficult for me to conceive and understand what I perceive to be a hypocrisy in the teachings of the church I was raised in. I was always taught that tolerance and respect were at the core of the values of my religion. That the teachings of my church, were to be accepted and rejected by one's own free will to do so. Not to be forced upon the masses by those who are fearful out of the ignorance they hide behind.

While many people believe that homosexuality is a sin, are we not taught that we are to hate the sin, yet love the sinner? It is okay for people to disagree with a lifestyle, whether that lifestyle is by choice or by genetics. But is is not okay for us to raise another generation of bigots in a world already filled with too much hatred and anger.

I long for the day where two people can sit down and talk about their misunderstandings with each other. That hurt and anger can be repaired and replaced with friendship.

Smash* said...

I really don't understand how this is even an issue. I obviously have my own reasons for wanting equal rights, and I may be biased in that respect, but really, gay or straight, if there are two CONSENTING adults who would like to get married, who the hell thinks that they should and can be able to stop that. It shouldn't be an issue! If you can marry who you want to marry, why can't I? I mean there are straight marriages that have HORRIFIC PROBLEMS (adultery, incest, rape, abuse, etc.)... and yes, there would be problems with gay marriages, but there should still be a choice. Protestors against gay marraige always revert to the argument that homosexuality is a sin. Well there are many other things that we do in this life that are sinful which are not against the law and of which are not voted on. Protestors against Gay Marriage don't know the statistics or the truth. People are people, love is love, and we all feel. Nothing can tell me who I am.. no church, no scripture, no ignorant homophobic person.. I am who I am, and I am happy with that. I don't think the gay community is asking for acceptance, but tolerance to let them live. It does NOT hurt anyone.. keeping people from their
"inalienable rights" hurts people.. Not accepting your children, siblings, or neighbors because they are different is what keeps America three steps behind.. Yes, America, one of the leading countries in the world, has come a long way from forced labor and institutionalized hatred of "colored people"... and yes, women and other minority groups have gained some grounds for equality, but if you look at this country... this world, it is filled with oppression, hate, and UNCHALLENGED ATTITUDES! Until generations stop passing down their unchallenged beliefs that there are people who are superior and inferior, then the world will waste away...

I have always believed in the power of the people. How amazing this world could be if we could tolerate or accept people with different lifestyles, religions, and cultures! The many things that our unique differences could bring to this world.. and the many lives that could be saved!

And yes, some of my greatest inspirations are MLK, Jr. and Cesar Chavez..and other people willing to take a stand against inequality. We can change the world. We can overcome differences. In this world, people have had to fight for their rights.. It is not as though the model majority lose anything if other people get their rights.. Minorities are NOT asking for special treatment or special rights.. They are simply asking for EQUAL RIGHTS... rights that most Americans have been enjoying for centuries!

To me, this isn't just about marriage.. (yes, it would be nice to marry the one you love, especially since our society cares so much if people are married or not), but there are many other rights that homosexual PEOPLE, yes people, are forfeited. For example, if something horrible were to happen to me, and I was left to recover in the ICU at the hospital, the person that I love would NOT be able to go and see me.. The one thing that may help the most! That's the first thing.. I mean imagine, just imagine if you were kept from seeing the one you love because you are not family (although they are family to you).... Then there's the whole trouble with inheritance, tax breaks, adopting kids, and prejudice..

We are in the dam 21st Century! What the hell is wrong with people??? I say that with love. I am not a hater, and not full of hate.. I am just disappointed that people are so intolerant of others.. not even just looking at sexuality.. There are still racist groups around the world, people who can't associate with you because of your religious beliefs and even political affiliations! That's just to name a few..

It is a sad world.. with all of our advancements, we are still a world away from where we should be...

I end with one of my favorite quotes, "Our lives begin to end the day we stop caring about things that matter" -MLK, Jr.

Peace and love for all
xoxo

Ashly in CO said...

I completely agree. 100%

If you haven't already, watch the video on my blog. It says what we have to say, only it was on national television.

andreaKphotography said...

You said it ALL!! I think it is terrible and people need to just believe what they want to believe and not force it on others. People who judge same sex couples should take a minute to wonder why they care so much. If you are worried about what other people do in their private time I think you are the weird one. My 2 sister-in-laws and one of my sister-in-laws 2 daughters all went down to the protest at the temple and I was so proud of them. They said everyone was so peacful and didn't yell out hateful things to those against them but instead said we just want love. We all deserve the same rights and we all deserve love.

Cody and Kaysi said...

Well said Jess! I can't understand how people cannot see this as hate or discrimination. I don't understand how "the people voted" to ammend our constitution to include discrimination and hate! It is really like America has taken a huge jump backwards, and I hope in time people will break away from their brainwashed hatred and realize that we are all equal beings regardless of race, gender, religion, or sexual preference. We call ourselves a free country and yet we are including discrimination in the main document that our country's beliefs were created. Why do others insist on enforcing their beliefs onto others rather than just accept people for being who they are? You are not superior beings. People are people, and should always be treated as equals.